The AFS program or “American Field Service Intercultural Programs” is a non-governmental, international, voluntary organization. This organization is a nonprofit organization that provides opportunities centered around intercultural learning to people in order to assist people to develop acquiring the necessary skills, understanding, and knowledge that is utilizable in creating a better world.
The program is ranked number 1 when speaking about international learning. In over 50 countries around the world, AFS offers a global international exchange program. This is possible through not-for-profit AFS organizations having a network of volunteers, an office with professional staff that is led by a volunteering board.
This is one of the programs students are ignorant about and do not engage in because they know little or even nothing about it. Notwithstanding, In this article, you will learn all you need to know about the AFS program, How you can Register and also apply and others.
What is AFS Program?
The AFS program is one of the exchange programs in the world that began 60 years ago when the World War 2 ambulance drivers began the program in order to bring German students to the US to foster understanding between the two countries.
The ASF program is the kind that helps students discover the world. The ASF sends students from a particular country to another. This act is to promote understanding between the two nations.
Why Opt-in For American Field Service?
There are numerous reasons why you should choose the ASF program instead of others. Highlighted below are some of the reasons.
- You get the opportunity to do activities you are not use to and also try out new sports.
- Get vast cultural knowledge
- The program help in developing you to a point that you can make decisions on your own.
- You make new friends and the program helps you get accustomed to meeting new people.
- Helps you cultivate the habit of living outside your comfort zone.
Benefit of Hosting An AFS Exchange Student
Wonderful news has been received from hosting families about the rewards they receive from opening their homes as well as their hearts to AFS Exchange Students.
- See other countries from a different perspectives
- Increased communication skill, knowledge as well as understanding of other people
- Make your contribution to the world with the consciousness to create a more peaceful and just world.
- Creates and sustain a life long connection with participants and also their parents.
- Gives you the opportunity of experiencing the ordeal of a typical extended family.
How To Apply For AFS Study Abroad Program
Depending on your country of application, the application process varies.
- Check admission calender
- Apply Online
- Schedule an Interview
- Send reports cards and recommendation forms
- Take school-administered test.
AFS Scholarship 2022
The scholarship is available to all students that are eligible for registration in the countries where AFS is operational. Click on the link to take you to the scholarship form filling page Scholarship.
AFS Intercultural programs
- High School Study Program
- Teachers Exchange Program
- University Exchange Program
- Community Service Exchange
- Online Programs
High School Study Program
This program helps High school students study in a different country. High School students are selected to go to a different country and live with a global family. The good thing about this ASF Program is that you get to choose the duration the exchange would take: Probably an Academic Year, a Semester, or even a Trimester.
If you are the type that loves adventure then this program is for you. The age limit for this program is young people whether male or female from 14 to 18 years.
The Criteria for Selecting Students are
- Should be result oriented
- Be aware of your home country’s culture and also global issues
- Have solid personal qualities
- Be socially empathetic
Teachers Exchange Program
This program is for teachers who would like to experience teaching in other countries but are currently teaching in a school in their country. The way the program works is that the school at which the teacher is absolved will take a crucial role in the program. The teacher participating will have a complete understanding of how teaching is done in that country.
University Exchange Program
This program is concerned with taking some students from a particular university in a country to various other country’s universities. The program offers students the choice of choosing their own subjects from the many subjects available in the university they have been taken to.
AFS College Programs
Below are some Highlighted College Programs in AFS
- French Language and Euro-Mediterranean History in France
- Spanish Language and Indigenous Culture in Peru
- Social Activism in Greece
- Social Activism in Ireland
- Karlshochschule University Foundation Year and/or Bachelor program
- Social Activism in Greece
- Global Health in Tanzania
Community Service Exchange
One way or the other you sometimes feel like giving back to the world but do not know how to go about it. Well, there is good news, because this program is just for you. The community service exchange gives you the opportunity to render your services to the world. AFS currently runs this program in over 30 countries and hosts about 10 students every year.
AFS Online Program
Becoming an exchange student does not necessarily mean you have to be in a particular country in person. Become a Global Citizen by experiencing intercultural learning, meeting new pupils like you from around the world right at the comfort of your home. This program is recommended for you if you like to experience the cultures of other countries virtually.
AFS Participant Hosting
An AFS host family will be relevant in providing room and other necessities for exchange students. In addition to this host families are required to give general parental supervision over the students exactly the way they would do with their own children. The exchange student should not be exempted from daily household chores and activities
As a host family, hosting a student for a semester or maybe a few months gives you the opportunity of making your culture known to the exchange student who will later take this culture to his/her country.
Also, it also gives the platform for international students to their own inherent culture with the host family. Through this, cultural value is being exchanged thereby in a way promoting mutual understanding between the countries involved in this program.
AFS is indeed a program for all. unfortunately, not all international countries can benefit from this program as they are not yet present in some countries. Visit their official website to know more and if your country is eligible. I hope this article helps you navigate through your AFS registration process.
What does the accronym AFS program stand for?
American Field Service
Is AFS program worth it?
AFS program has been providing high-quality, safe, and satisfying study abroad and other international programs for over 70 years.
How much does AFS cost?
AFS program application fee is $75.
- acpsmd.org: AFS – Hosting an Exchange Student and Study Abroad Opportunities
- afs.org– AFS Exchange Programs
- Study Abroad
- Volunteering opportunities in Chicago
- Top 15 Study Abroad Programs
- Best Student Loans: Complete list Of Student Loan Available.