Every year, half a million international students apply to study in Canada, making the country rank among the top study destinations in the world.
Apart from a top-quality education, Canada is also a good place to live- the cities in Canada are relatively safe, have a rich culture, good weather, and many interesting activities.
Choosing to pursue your academic aspiration in Canada is one of the best decisions you’d ever make but how do you get started?
In this piece, we have outlined the various procedures involved in gaining admission into a top university in Canada and also a guide on how to secure your student visa. Studying in Canada comes with a lot of opportunities. So don’t trivialize any chance of getting into a Canadian school to study.
The table below will give you an overview of what to expect in this article.
Why study in Canada
Here are reasons why Canada is always ranking the top country for quality of life and education.
#1. A World Class Education
Canada offers world-class and high-quality education to students at very affordable tuition fees with degrees that are globally recognized and valued.
#2. Canada is a home for Tech
Nearly 90% of Canadians are internet users and the country is the first country to link its schools and libraries to the internet world. The country is very strong in telecommunications, video games, digital media & skills, and biotechnology. Also, students have access to the internet always because Wi-Fi is virtually accessible all around the country.
#3. Boost your language skills
Because Canada is a bilingual country, you can become bilingual and this can help boost your prospects in your career life.
#4. The cost to study in Canada is affordable
When you compare the study in Canada cost with other English-Speaking Countries, you will realize how low the Canadian tuition is. Though the tuition fee varies from school to school, still, you can find a school right for you from the diverse educational options.
#5. There’s always an opportunity for each student
Except if you don’t want to work after school, Canada has a lot of opportunities for both resident and international undergraduates studying in Canada.
#6. There are lots of scholarship programs
With so many scholarship programs available for students, there’s a possibility that you will study in Canada for free as an international student.
#7. You will have the same right as other Canadians
As an international student studying in Canada, there is no limit to what you’ll gain, you’ll enjoy the same freedoms and rights that govern Canadians. For example, equity and a peaceful and stable society with respect to human rights. You’ll surely feel secure, welcomed, and safe in Canada.
Now, you have seen reasons why to study in Canada, kindly scroll down to check the step-by-step guide on how to study in Canada.
How much does it cost to study in Canada?– Canada University Fees
Colleges in Canada are very affordable compared to other countries like UK, USA, or Australia. The tuition fee depends on your school of choice, the course, and the program. The Master’s degree tuition ranges between $3,250 to $42,950, while d Bachelor’s degree program range from $7,500 to 49,900.
HOW TO STUDY IN CANADA AS AN INTERNATIONAL STUDENT- a step-by-step guide
Here is a complete guide on how to study in Canada.
- #Step 1: Search for schools and programs
- #Step 2: Apply to the university/college of your choice
- #Step 3: Apply for scholarships and grants(for those looking to study for free)
- # Step 4: Research for housing and employment options
- #Step 5: Gather the relevant documents
- #Step 6: Get a student Visa
Universities in Canada
Below are the best colleges in canada for international students that are globally recognized. These Canadian universities are ranked based on their position in the QS World Rankings.
- #1. University of Toronto in Toronto, Canada.
- #2. University of British Columbia in Vancouver, Canada.
- #3. McGill University in Montreal Canada.
- #4. McMaster University in Hamilton, Canada.
- #5. University of Alberta in Edmonton, Canada.
- #6. University of Montreal, Canada.
- #7. University of Calgary in Calgary, Canada
- #8. University of Ottawa in Ottawa, Canada.
- #9. University of Waterloo in Waterloo, Canada.
- #10. Western University in London, Canada.
See also Top 15 Study Abroad Programs In 2021
How to apply to college or university in Canada
Immediately after you have chosen a school or college where you want to study, you must continually check to know they will open for application. This is because every school has different rules on how to apply.
Also, you need to contact the school so they can give you full details of how to apply. The school will give you a list of all the documentation you need to send to them. And this document will contain; the cost of applying, the health insurance, rent and cost of living in Canada, language test.
Fill in the form and submit it to them following the instructions they will send to you. Once they have been given admission, they will send you a letter to apply for a study permit.
Student Visa Canada
There are two ways to apply for a Study visa; Applying online or applying at the visa application center in your country. But it’s always advisable to apply for a student visa immediately after you get your acceptance fee because it takes up to 3 months to get the visa.
What are the requirements for getting a study permit?
To apply for a study visa or study permit, you must show the officer that you:
- meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) and the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations, including leaving Canada at the end of your studies.
- are law-abiding and have no record of criminal activity (they may ask you to provide a Police Clearance Certificate);
- will not be a risk to the security of Canada;
- are in good health (they may request your medical examination);
- will produce additional documents requested by the officer to establish your admissibility
- have satisfactory proof of financial support.
If your study duration is less than a year, you need to show proof of financial support for the duration of your studies in Canada. And If your study duration is more than a year, you will need to provide proof of financial support for the first year of your studies in Canada.
Things you need to know about study permits
- Consult the Canadian travel agency to get detailed information and restrictions for international students.
- You need to have your acceptance letter (your admission letter) from a Canadian school before you can apply for a student visa to study in Canada.
- So this means you need to find a school and choose a program and get admission first before you can apply for a visa.
To get your student visa you need:
- A valid passport or travel documents.
- Acceptance letter from a Canadian school that is a DLI
- School fees receipt and the above-listed requirements.
Do I need to do biometric?
You may need to give your fingerprint when applying for a study permit. So you may need to go in person to the application center. Don’t submit your application by mail if you are required to give your biometrics. The agency will inform you if your biometrics are required or not.
Here’s what to do after you apply for a study permit
Always check the status of the study permit application on the Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada website. They update the information there daily. But first, you need to set your account on the Canada website.
Do I need a work visa if I want to work as a student?
If you want to work as a student why you study in Canada you may need a work visa. Though many international students with study permits work part-time without a work permit.
But if you want a full-time job or if you want to be part of a work placement while studying, you need to apply for a work permit.
Can I study in Canada for free?
For you to study in Canada for free, you need to get a full-tuition scholarship or a fully-funded scholarship in any of the Canadian schools because they are no free education in Canada.
With the fully funded scholarship, the cost of the study is practically free but with a partial scholarship, your cost of study in Canada will be reduced by a certain percentage.
Study in Canada Scholarship Programs available for international students
Many international students have the opportunity to study in Canada for free with their scholarship programs. Below is a list of study in Canada scholarship programs.
- The University of Toronto scholarships for international students. The school offers the Lester B. Pearson international scholarships to international students. It is a full scholarship covering tuition fees, books, incidental fees, and residence fees.
- Yoke University gives a partial scholarship to international students.
- Carleton University is another school that offers many entrance scholarships for international students.
- The University of British Columbia offers scholarships to international students.
- University of Calgary also offers entrance scholarships to international students.
Canada gives an exciting life experience for college students. And it’s a good destination for international students with five of its universities getting listed in the top 100 best schools in the QS World Ranking. I hope the information in this article helps you as pursue your dream to study in Canada.
- Scholarships in Canada for International Students