Studying psychology in Germany is now very easy for you as an international student because you don’t have to fuss over learning in German any longer and guess what? There are so many universities to study psychology in Germany in English for free.
We will be discussing those universities in this article. So, let us delve in;
What Is Psychology
Psychology is the study of the mind and behavior. According to the American Psychological Association, It is the study of the mind, how it works, and how it affects behavior.
Psychology is also the study of the behavioral and cognitive characteristics of a specific individual, group, activity, or circumstance. Clinical psychology is the application of psychological knowledge to the diagnosis and treatment of patients.
Why study psychology in Germany in English
There are so many opportunities you stand to get as an international student studying in Germany, a wide range of those opportunities includes:
- Excellence In Research and Teaching: Germany is known for its top-notch researchers and excellence in enlightening students in their field of study.
- Cheap or low tuition fees: Coupled with the top-notch quality education you receive in Germany, the tuition fee is not exorbitant for students.
- Safe and economically stable local Top-ranked psychology universities: As an international student who wants to study psychology abroad, Germany is one of the countries where you can not negotiate its proficiency in delivering the best level of education you require in your field.
- Development of personal and intellectual potential: Studying psychology in Germany can help develop your innate ability and your potential in line with your career.
- Affordable costs of living: Residing in Germany is very affordable for international students, you don’t have to bother about the cost of living
- Wide range of courses on offer: There are so many branches under psychology you can delve into in as much as it aligns with your interest
- Work Opportunities For International Students: So many job opportunities for you as a psychology
- Close links between theory and practice: You have the privilege of practising what you have learnt in the classroom
- You get to learn a New Language: learning a new language can be very interesting sometimes especially as an international student, you have the privilege of learning their language
HOW TO BECOME A PSYCHOLOGIST IN GERMANY: Step-by Step Guide
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a step, they say.
So, there are so many steps needed to be taken to become a psychologist in Germany. The steps include:
- Find a good psychology school in Germany
- Meet All Requirements.
- Find Financial Resources.
- Apply For Admission.
- Get Your German Student Visa.
- Find Accommodation.
- Enrol At Your University.
- Study your course within the allocated period
- Graduate With a good grade and become a certified Psychologist In your field
#1. FIND A GOOD PSYCHOLOGY SCHOOL IN GERMANY
You need to have a school in mind and not just any school, a good school with excellent academic track records.
#2. MEET ALL REQUIREMENTS
Every school has its unique requirements, so after finding a good school of your choice, ensure you meet the requirement, the necessary document, your IELTS score must meet that of requirement.
#3. FIND FINANCIAL RESOURCES:
Congratulations, you have met all the requirements of the school, the financial resource is still the backbone behind your dream of studying psychology in Germany.
#4. APPLY FOR ADMISSION:
So, you’ve got all the financial resources needed, the next thing is to apply for admission into that school of your choice
#5. GET YOUR GERMAN STUDENT VISA:
once you’ve gained admission, the next thing in your mind is processing your visa. If you’re a student coming from a non-EU and non-EEA country you must get a German student visa.
Before applying for a visa, you must have met all the above requirement
#6. FIND ACCOMMODATION:
As an international student that has been given admission and gotten a student visa, you can now look for a resident in Germany. accommodation is not that expensive so you can still work around your budget.
#7. ENROL AT YOUR UNIVERSITY:
Voila! You are now a student at your dream school.
#8. STUDY YOUR COURSE WITHIN THE ALLOCATED PERIOD:
be dedicated to studying hard in your area of specialization, nothing should hold you back in school beyond the specified period of study
#9. GRADUATE WITH A GOOD GRADE AND BECOME A CERTIFIED PSYCHOLOGIST:
if you are not too caught up with the frivolities on campus, as an international student, you should be able to graduate with nothing lesser than a second-class upper. Become certified with a good grade
Where can I Study Psychology in Germany in English?
You may be fussing, can I study psychology in Germany in English? What are the benefits I stand to gain as an international student? What are the requirements as an international student?
Do I have to learn their language? And so many other questions and thoughts running through your mind.
Yes! You can study psychology in Germany in English, though the German language is the most significant dialect used in the country. But, you don’t have to worry. We still got you.
We have brought you the information you need as an international student aiming to study psychology in Germany and you don’t want to go through the stress of learning the language before studying.
There are so many universities where you can study psychology in Germany in English. A list of them are mentioned below;
- Universities To Study Psychology In English In Germany
- Berlin International University of Applied Sciences
- ULM University
- University of Mannheim
- University of Stuttgart
- TU Dresden
- HTW Berlin
- University of Hamburg
- University of Freiburg
- Jacobs University Bremen
- University of Hohenheim
List of public universities in Germany for psychology
- RWTH Aachen University
- University of Tübingen
- Furtwangen University
- Humboldt-Universität Zu Berlin
- LMU – Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München
Bachelor degree in psychology in Germany
Bachelor’s degree in psychology is a three years course that focuses on the study of the human mind, cognition, emotion, interaction, behavior, attitude, and the general makeup of the human personality.
This degree offers different specializations in Psychology, such as Sports Psychology, Clinical Psychology, Correctional Psychology, etc.
What are the subjects covered by a graduate student of Psychology?
Subjects covered by a graduate student of psychology depend on the chosen area of specialization. Clinical psychology comprises various subjects that deal with the mental health and behavioral pattern of the human mind, sport psychology has its unique branches as well.
Areas of study in Psychology generally include counseling, studying motivations, and perception, helping to solve conflicts, and correcting behavioral disorders.
Reasons to get bachelor’s degree in psychology in Germany
- Top-notch quality education: You attain the peak of your career by getting a top-notch quality education. Ranked No. 20 in the world education ranking
- High economic resources: No. 11 in world economic ranking
- Worldwide business Mogul: No.14 in the world ease of doing business
- Safety for international students: No.16 in world safety ranking
Master’s degree in psychology in Germany in English
It is a vocational two years course (generally) that involves plenty of research and fieldwork.
The course focuses on cognition, emotion, human interaction, communication, human resources development, and learning with new media.
Master in psychology is often available as an MS (Masters in Science) or an MA program allowing students to explore different specializations. After completing the Master’s program, you can apply for a Ph.D. in a similar field to move completely into the research domain.
- Duration – 2 years, 4 semesters.
- Start of Study – Winter Semester.
- Study Structure – Consists of credits for both specialist studies & Master Thesis.
- Specializations –
- Business Psychology: Applying modern psychological principles to the business world and maintaining an amazing work-life.
- Clinical Psychology: Assessment and treatment of cognitive health and behavioural problems in human
- Psychotherapy: Generally termed as therapy, involves studying human behavioural and mental health issues through dialogues regularly.
- Child Psychology: Study of psychological development of children.
- Evolutionary Psychology: Study of human behaviour through detailed exploration of evolutionary theory.
Masters in Psychology in Germany: Admission Requirements
The basic requirements to qualify for Masters in Psychology in Germany are:
- Bachelors in Psychology degree required along with transcripts.
- International students may be required to have a minimum of 80-90% in their bachelor’s degree.
- You will need TestDAF, DSH, or Goethe Institut Certificates as proof of German proficiency.
- English language proficiency proofs in the form of IELTS, TOEFL, and CAE scores
- A valid passport along with a student visa.
- Letter of motivation.
- If you qualify for the Test for Academic Studies, this test is not mandatory but it is an added advantage.
- Any professional recommendations, work experience, and internships will be preferred.
Scope of Masters in Psychology in Germany:
International students are highly privileged to apply for internships while studying the program. It will not only help you sponsor yourself (450 Euros per month) but will also help you gain experience which can be used in scoring a job relatively easily. Germany offers good salaries for psychologists and related professions. Some of the popular job roles available to psychology graduates in Germany are as follows:
|Job Roles||Average Monthly Salaries (Euro)|
|Chief of psychology||37,200|
Psychology diploma courses in Germany
Diploma courses can be likened to prerequisite courses within the field of your choice. Diploma courses are usually introductory programs in which students are familiarized with a variety of essential fundamentals of the field. Listed below are some of the popular certificate and Diploma courses in Germany-
- Leadership and Management by Steinbeis University Berlin
- Directing – Artist Folkwang Diploma by University of Arts
- International Diploma In Brewing Technology by Siebel Institute of Technology
- Soft Tissue Management for the Aesthetic Zone by Steigmann Implant Institute
- Periodontology and Implantology by Berlin School of Health Sciences
- Diploma in Endodontics by Berlin School of Health Sciences
- Facial Aesthetics Applications by Berlin School of Health Sciences
- Access to Higher Education Diploma (Social Science and Health) Biology Pathway by Central College for Education
- Certificate (HE) in Screen Acting by Catalyst – Institute for Creative Arts and Technology GmbH
- Certificate (HE) in Visual Effects by Catalyst – Institute for Creative Arts and Technology GmbH
List Of Tuition-free Universities In Germany
Public Universities in Germany are free for international students. International students are encouraged to apply to universities in Germany, and with so many tuition-free English programs, there is a lot to choose from.
You don’t have to limit your university search just because of tuition prices since even the most prestigious German Universities are free, e.g.
- Freie Universität Berlin (Free University of Berlin),
- Heidelberg University (Ruprecht-Karls-Universität Heidelberg)*,
- Humboldt-Universität Zu Berlin (Humboldt University in Berlin),
- LMU – Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München (University of Munich),
- RWTH Aachen University (Rheinisch-Westfälische Technische Hochschule Aachen),
- Technical University of Munich (Technische Universität München),
- University of Bonn (Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität Bonn),
- University of Freiburg (Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg)*
Frequently Asked Questions on Study psychology in Germany in English
Can I study psychology in English in Germany?
Yes, you can study psychology in English in Germany. Language is not a barrier
What are the basic requirements to study Psychology in Germany?
Your passport with visa or residence permit
Several passport photos
complete registration form
Proof of higher education entrance qualification, either original certificates or officially certified copies and translations
Notice of admission
Evidence of adequate knowledge of German (or English)
Evidence of statutory health insurance in Germany
Payment receipt for the semester fee
How long does it take to study Psychology in Germany?
For a bachelor’s degree, it takes 3 years and for a master’s program, it takes 2 years
- Top Universities in Germany: See Best Ranking
- Study In Germany: A Complete Step-by-Step Guide Including Best Universities, Scholarships, and Student Visa
- 10 Best Schools for Psychology: Rankings, Tuition, Acceptance, and Graduation Rates.
- medicalnewstoday.com- What is psychology?
- worldscholarshub.com- Why Study Psychology In Germany In English
- worldscholarshub.com- How to become a psychologist in Germany
- collegedunia.com- Master’s degree in psychology in Germany in English
- mygermanuniversity.com-List of tuition-free universities in Germany taught in English
- worldscholarshub.com– Where can I study psychology in English in Germany | Best schools
- mygermanuniversity.com- List of public universities in Germany for psychology