It is no longer news that the best medical schools are found in India. Based on the statistics, India’s medical standard is one of the highest in the world. Thank you to the Indian government for the heavy investment in its health sector.
Do you wish to study medicine in India? Due to the numerous medical schools in India, it is quite normal to have a hard time making a choice.
In recent years, India passed the Medical Commission Bill, popularly known as the “NMC Bill.” The bill seeks to put an end to the unequal distribution of health professionals in India as well as its existing staff shortage. The implication of this bill is that India is ready to accept medical aspirants and professionals into its schools.
In this article, You will learn about some top medical colleges in India, and also other medical school-related topics.
Why Attend a Medical School In Indian
#1. Top-Ranked Medical Colleges
Most of the medical colleges are among the best ranked globally, and these top colleges have their teaching hospitals where students can practicalize all they had been thought in taught in the classroom with the understanding that medicinal studies should be practicalized more. Most of the teachers have over 40 years of professional teaching experience.
#2. Various Specializations in MBBS and PG Courses
India is a place that explores extensive medical research, it explores medical fields like nuclear medicine, forensic medicine, radiology, biomedical engineering etc. A lot of medical schools in India have opportunities for MBBS with specializations in various areas at the postgraduate level.
#3. Low Cost Of Living
Living cost for international students in India is actually less expensive when compared with other nations of the world. The cost of obtaining a degree in medicine in India is quite cheap especially when you are enrolled in a government college.
#4. All Medicine Programs Are Available
Almost all recognized medicine courses around the globe are being offered in most of the best medical colleges in India. Some of the special courses are MBS, BPT, BAMS, and PG Courses like MD, MS, DM, and many others.
One of the rising factors that rank most medical schools in India the best is their state-of-the-art facilities and well-equipped laboratories with enough space for research and experimentation. In addition, colleges also have hostel accommodations for students.
You might also like to read about Canada, check out our article on Top 15 Universities In Canada: Best Canadian Universities Rankings
15 Best Medical School In India Rankings
We selected these schools based on their global rankings, accreditation, academic reputations, graduate employability rates, tuition, acceptance, and graduation rates.
- AIIMS Delhi – All India Institute of Medical Sciences
- Christian Medical College, Vellore
- Armed Forces Medical College
- Maulana Azad Medical College
- JIPMER Puducherry – Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medi
- Institute of Medical Sciences, BHU
- KGMU – King George’s Medical University
- Vardhman Mahavir Medical College
- Lady Hardinge Medical College
- University College of Medical Sciences, University of Delhi
- Grant Medical College
- Seth Gordhandas Sunderdas Medical College and KEM Hospital
- Kasturba Medical College, Manipal
- Bangalore Medical College and Research Institute
- GMCH Chandigarh – Government Medical College and Hospital
#1. AIIMS Delhi – All India Institute of Medical Sciences
(1st Year Fees)
|Department of Higher Education |
of the Ministry of Human Resources Development of India
AIIMS Delhi ranks top on our list of best Medical Schools In India. All India Institute of Medical Sciences and is also known as AIIMS is a public medical research university that is located in Delhi and was established in 1956. The Institution offers both different shades of medical courses for undergraduates as well as master’s level.
- #783 in Best Global Universities (tie)
- #179 in Best Global Universities in Asia (tie)
- #10 in Best Global Universities in India
- #1 in Best Global Medical Universities in India
#2. Christian Medical College, Vellore
(1st Year Fees)
Christian Medical College, Vellore is one of the best Medical Schools In India. The Christian Medical College, Vellore is a privately owned medical higher education institution that can trace its root back to 1900. The institution is one of the top medical schools in India and the medical school is run by the Christian community additionally, the community also runs a research institute and also a hospital.
- #895 in Best Global Universities (tie)
- #213 in Best Global Universities in Asia (tie)
- #16 in Best Global Universities in India
- #2 in Best Global Medical Universities in India
#3. Armed Forces Medical College
(1st Year Fees)
Another top Medical School In India is the Armed Forces Medical College. It is an institute where medical training is carried out. It started its operation in 1948 and is located in Pune. The Indian armed forces manage this training institute. The college offers a variety of medical-related courses an example is the undergraduate courses which are- MBBS, B.Sc Nursing e.t.c.
- #3 in Best Global Medical Universities in India
#4. Maulana Azad Medical College
(1st Year Fees)
Maulana Azad Medical College is a public higher education institution and is recommended as one of the top medical schools in India. It was founded in 1956 and is affiliated with the University of Delhi. It was named in honor of India’s first education minister. The college offers both undergraduate and postgraduate courses.
#4 in Best Global Medical Universities in India
#5. JIPMER Puducherry- Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medication and Research
JIPMER is short for Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medication and Research and was founded in 1823. It is one of the best universities for medicine in India for students from all over the globe.
The institution is an autonomous body that was given the title of Institution of National Importance (INI) by an act of Parliament under the Ministry of Health and Family welfare.
- #5 in Best Global Medical Universities in India
#6. Institute of Medical Sciences, BHU
The Institute of Medical Sciences, BHU is one of the best colleges in India, it was established in 1960. The medical sciences institute is actually the medical school of the Banaras Hindu University which comprises three faculties. Students from all over the world can apply for any of its programs from undergraduate to post-graduate level.
- #6 in Best Global Medical Universities in India
#7. KGMU- King George’s Medical University
King George’s Medical University is a three higher education institution that is located in Lucknow. It is a hospital, medical school, and also medical institution that traces its root back to 1905. It is one of the best medical universities in India and hosts a great number of students both international and local.
- #570 in Clinical Medicine (tie)
- #7 in Best Global Medical Universities in India
#8. Vardhman Mahavir Medical College
Vardhman Mahavir Medical College is located in Delhi and is affiliated with the popular Safdarjang hospital. It was established in 2002 and has offered many undergraduate and postgraduate programs to local and international students.
- #8 in Best Global Medical Universities in India
#9. Lady Hardinge Medical College
Lady Hardinge Medical College is a unique medical college in India due to the fact that it is specifically only for women the college was founded in 1916 and it is located in New Delhi. Additionally, it is a government-funded educational institution.
- #9 in Best Global Medical Universities in India
#10. University College of Medical Sciences, University of Delhi
University College of Medical Sciences, University of Delhi (UCMS) was founded in 1971 as a segmented college of the University of Delhi, it has an association with the famous Guru Teg Bahadur hospital that offers different medical courses and serves as a teaching hospital.
- #564 in Best Global Universities (tie)
- #104 in Best Global Universities in Asia (tie)
- #2 in Best Global Universities in India
- #10 in Best Global Medical Universities in India
#11. Grant Medical College
Grant Medical College is a public government-funded medical institution that was established in 1845, it is one of the oldest in South Asia’s medicine teaching institutions. The medical institution is one of the best medical colleges in India and has an affiliation with the Maharashtra University of Health Science.
The college offers the top medical courses at Undergraduate, Postgraduate, and other levels in various streams.
- #11 in Best Global Medical Universities in India
#12. Seth Gordhandas Sunderdas Medical College and KEM Hospital
Seth Gordhandas Sunderdas Medical College and KEM Hospital was established in 1926 and is located in Mumbai. It is one of the top-ranking medical schools in India it is both a college and a hospital that offers free treatment services to the less privileged of society. In addition, it is the first staffed medical college by top doctors from India.
- #12 in Best Global Medical Universities in India
#13. Kasturba Medical College, Manipal
Kasturba Medical College, Manipal is one of the best universities in India and the first self-financing medical college in India. The college provides top-notch medical education using updated state-of-the-art technologies and provides innovative teaching methods.
- #13 in Best Global Medical Universities in India
#14. Bangalore Medical College and Research Institute
Bangalore Medical College and Research Institute formerly known as Bangalore Medical College is a government-financed medical college it offers a wide range of programs from undergraduate courses, Diploma and even Postgraduate courses and fellowship programs inclusive.
- #14 in Best Global Medical Universities in India
#15. GMCH Chandigarh – Government Medical College and Hospital
Government Medical College & Hospital is a higher education institution that offers medical education to students and engages in extensive medical research. The institution was founded in 1991 and is situated in Chandigarh. Government Medical College and Hospital, Chandigarh is among the best medical schools in India.
- #15 in Best Global Medical Universities in India
You can study in an Indian medical school for free, check out the various Scholarships For Indian Students
Government Medical Colleges in India
- AIIMS Delhi
- AFMC Pune
- Maulana Azad Medical College Delhi
- St John’s Medical College Bangalore
- Lokmanya Tilak Municipal Medical College Mumbai
- Era Medical College Lucknow
- BJ Medical College Pune
- Government Medical College Aurangabad
- Patna Medical College
- Vardhman Mahavir Medical College Delhi
Top Private Medical Colleges in India
- M S Ramaiah Medical College, Bangalore
- Sri Ramachandra Medical College and Research Institute, Chennai
- Dayanand Medical College and Hospital, Ludhiana
- Mahatma Gandhi Medical College and Research Institute, Pondicherry
- Aarupadai Veedu Medical College and Hospital, Puducherry
- Christian Medical College, Vellore
- Institute of Medical Sciences and SUM Hospital, Bhubaneswar
- JSS Medical College, Mysore
Best Medical Colleges In The World
- Johns Hopkins University
- The University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)
- University of Oxford
- Karolinska Institutet
- Stanford University
- Yale University
Best Medical Colleges In South Africa
- University of Cape Town
- Stellenbosch University
- northwest University – South Africa
- Witwatersrand University
- University of KwaZulu Natal
- University of Pretoria
The medical colleges in India are no doubt among the best in the world. Hence, if you are planning on going for a degree in medicine or any other programs relating to it, then you should also consider some of the best medical schools in India.
- besonline- Reasons to study medicine in India
- Shiksha– Top-ranked Indian medical colleges
- Eduvidya.com– Government Medical Colleges In India