Studying abroad is without a doubt very interesting and fun. Students generally seek this adventure and experience due to the many benefits that come with it. However, you should take certain measures in order to ensure your study abroad is adventurous, and worth remembering.
This article aims towards enlightening you about Studying abroad and some tips that will be quite useful in the course of your study.
Why You should Study Abroad
#1. You Get To Have Top Notch Education
Best quality education is generally the number one aspiration of quite a lot of Students. to become an international student can effectively boost your study options.
Schools in the UK, US, and Australia are good schools to study because of their global recognition in all countries of the world.
#2. Builds You To Live Independently
It is a general belief that a proven way for becoming independent of your parents is by going to college. This can be mostly true when you go to school in another country.
Studying Abroad offers you the chance to learn how to understand yourself better by offering you the opportunity of staying away from your parents and siblings for some time. This helps you learn how to get some things done yourself.
#3. Get International Travel Experience
another benefit of studying abroad is that it gives you knowledge about international travels. You get to be acquainted with the required documents and procedures needed for international travel.
#4. Meet New Friends
Studying in any college whether, in your country or abroad, you always get to meet new friends. Although, abroad you get to meet new friends from different countries with entirely different cultures. this tends to boost your cultural exposure.
#5. Increases Your Career opportunity
Most employers currently, prefer recruiting employees that are widely exposed to the global standard of how things are done.
Studying abroad offers you this opportunity by helping you learn a new language(s) – depending on your capacity though, understand the global environment and also learn a new culture. These benefits can work to your advantage as you also stand the chance of being employed while still studying.
15 Effective Study Tips on how to study abroad
- Make Extensive Reserve of The country’s Culture
- Try Learning At least the Basics of The Language
- Make Available all The Things You Will Be Needing Upon Arriving There
- Choose An Appropriate Period For Your Travel
- Make Your Plans Flexible
- Research The Country’s Transport System
- Understand The Terrain Before incurring unnecessary expenses
- Make Contingency Savings
- Ask To Know About Discount Given To Students
- Be with your ID at all times.
- Be Conversant With Map Usage
- Have Digital Copies Of All Your Relevant Documents
- Always Show Gratitude to People In A New Environment
- Get Familiar With Places Especially The Ones Close To Your House/Hostel
- Learn As Much As You Can.
#1. Make Extensive Research of The country’s Culture
People’s behavior is different depending on the country they are coming from or they have been. Each country has certain characters that distinguish them from other countries
Before going abroad for study make sure you do research how the people behave over there, also their similarities and dissimilarities. This will help you learn how to coexist with them when you get there.
#2. Try Learning At least the Basics of The Language
Language most times is a major barrier in communication. Hence in order not to have communication issues when you get over there ensure you learn the language.
Learning the language in this context does not imply learning everything there is to know about the language but only the basics is enough. You can take online lectures on a particular language or go to a profound language tutor center close to you.
#3. Make Available all The Things You Will Be Needing Upon Arriving There
Being destabilized is one thing many travelers have to deal with, especially when going to a place for the very first time and knowing nobody there. Not all travelers necessarily go through this though.
Before traveling abroad for study, ensure you have put everything in place ahead of you even before arriving there. Make plans for accommodation, Transportation, Local food pending when you fully adapt to their food, Drugs in you have allergies.
#4. Schedule An Appropriate Period For Your Travel
Try as much as possible to fix your travel period to be convenient for both and also the parties involved in your study abroad. All concerned must be given prior information about the travel plan and they should also be kept abreast of new developments in the travel plan.
#5. Make Your Plans Flexible
Changes to already made plans are inevitable as regards traveling to a new terrain hence, It is imperative that you make provisions for changes in plans. Given that last-minute plan.
#6. Research The Country’s Transport System
find out how the country runs its transportation system. information like prices, if they run on taxi, how to book a ride, and many others. This without a doubt will come in handy when you might need to board a taxi. especially when you just arrive at the airport.
#7. Understand The Terrain Before incurring unnecessary expenses
For many people getting into a new country have the effect of making a person want to overspend. But this is not necessary because it tends to give the locals the impression that you have enough even when you don’t.
So try as much as possible to be moderate in your spending, buy things you actually need not things you can do without.
#8. Make Contingency Savings
Nobody knows the future, this is why is counted wisdom to make plans for it. No matter how small or much the amount you took abroad for study, dedicate yourself to keeping a very little percentage of it as your savings for unforeseen circumstances.
Doing these is actually a win-win outcome because, in the case of no contingency, you can use the sum amassed as capital to start a business or to go for further training.
#9. Ask To Know About Discount Given To Students
Students abroad are always given some form of discount that the public does not enjoy. Try to know about these discounts when you get there and engage these discounts as they will help you save money.
#10. Be with your ID at all times.
Being a student from another country, you should always be with your Identification card. Because some situations may arise and warrant you to identify yourself, the ID tends to be your saving race from police and locals.
#11. Be Conversant With Map Usage
If you know you lack the skilled know-how of how to understand and use a map on your phone. Either before traveling abroad for study or immediately when you get to your country of study make sure you find someone to tutor you about maps.
Learning this is relevant as it helps you not to easily get lost and to find your way irrespective of where you are.
#12. Have Digital Copies Of All Your Relevant Documents
Although, keeping the hard copies of documents is good but the digital copies are even better. Your documents will be safer, and you can always make new copies of your documents whenever you misplace the hard copies.
#13. Always Show Gratitude to People In A New Environment
Most locals abroad always tend to be good and extremely nice to new people in their country. Your neighbor abroad might decide to invite you for dinner in their home or even a neighbor’s get-together party.
After all their kindness to you, always ensure you say a word of appreciation. Your appreciation indirectly tells them you really enjoy and appreciate what they do for you. It is also an encouragement for them to do more.
#14. Get Familiar With Places Close To Your Hostel/Home
In as much as you take transport when going to class from your hostel, Strive to understand the road network even when you are in the taxi or cab.
The reason you have to be acquainted with how the roads are connected is because of times when you are stranded or forget your wallet/credit or debit card at home. This will bring about a situation where you need to walk home, and how do you walk home if you don’t know your way around. So knowing the road network is very important.
#15. Learn As Much As You Can Before Leaving
Over the period of time, you spend studying abroad, ensure you learn as much as you can. you meet people with diverse cultures, Languages, believe, and many others. Give yourself to learning the things you think will be quite useful to you in your home country
How To Study Abroad For Free
Almost all students wish to study abroad or complete their studies abroad. But this would seem unattainable due to the high cost of funding required for the program.
Notwithstanding the funding barrier, you can also study abroad for free. There are other ways you can actually study abroad for free if you know you will not be able to fund the study. Below are some guides that can help you achieve your dream of studying abroad at little or no cost.
Ways T0 Study Abroad For Free
In as much as schools abroad tend to be quite expensive especially for foreign students, there are also other schools that offer study options at a low cost or for free. Below is a list of the ways you can study abroad.
#1. Avail Yourself For Volunteer Programs Abroad.
Studying abroad for free or at a very low cost sometimes requires strategies. Check online and apply for voluntary programs abroad. Most voluntary programs come with all-expense-paid options which include- Visa, Housing, and even feeding.
while doing your volunteering job, you can also take on a part-time job, and even as you work you get to save and enroll yourself in any school over there.
#2. Apply For International Scholarship
Another way to facilitate your study abroad is to always apply for scholarships. Most schools abroad especially public ones offer scholarships to international students. These scholarships mostly cover all potential beneficiary costs of Tuition, Textbooks, Housing, and even cover the cost of flight to and fro after your study. So make sure you are always surfing the net for available scholarships to apply for.
#3. Engage The UN International Competitions
The UN (United Nations) annually organizes a global student scholarship in which eligible students of all countries of the world may participate. This is also another opportunity to fulfill your dream of studying abroad as your only need to pass this competition to qualify for the UN scholarship program.
You can access these UN International competitions at UN Scholarships and Contests
There are many other ways you can study abroad for free, you just need a little intense research to know other means.
How To Go Abroad For Study After 12th
Here are steps that are necessary in order for a child to be able to study after 12th.
- Begin scholarship application process a year before the scholarship is out.
- Ensure you take the required English test like SAT, 10th and 12th grades are eligible for this test.
- keep a high and stable scorecard from all your past grades. this gives you an edge and also increases your chances of being selected.
- Get all the necessary documents required for the application such as Statement of Purpose, etc. if possible, get someone that has gone through this process before to give you useful hints.
- Apply for the scholarship.
How To Study Abroad in High School
- Determine your the place you would like to go for your study abroad. when making this decision ensure you fit or can fit into the eligibility requirement for the place you have chosen.
- Make your decision on your choice of place to study known to your parents or Foster parents. The reason for this is so your parents can make adequate preparations on how to cover all cost related to your choice of study.
- Also in your high school, discuss with your Guidance Counselor. Talk to your school’s counselor so they can give advice on the career path to follow and also how to go about your application.
- Having done all these, carry on to apply for the scholarship also seek advice on the application process from those who has done same in the past.
How To Study Abroad In College
- Instead of following the path of third party or your home school program, you can apply directly
- Utilize the opportunity of studying abroad by engaging the Student Exchange program.
- You can also begin your abroad study from High School abroad study program.
- A virtual study is also an option if you really want to study abroad. Though the experiences of traveling abroad may be absent, buy you still get global knowledge.
- Get information about study abroad program currently running and confirm from your school if your are eligible then apply via your school.
How to Apply To Study Abroad
Studying Abroad requires some considerations and procedures to be followed. There is no one procedure for applying for study abroad but these are some of the most relevant steps to be taken in order not to keep grappling with the dream of studying abroad.
Below are some things you should put into consideration when applying to study abroad.
- Make a decision on the program you wish to study
- Read the requirement for your choice program and ensure you meet all also know the apllication deadline.
- Make available your motivation letter, and ensure is has been carefully written. If possible, confirm from those that has gone through same process before you if you wrote the letter properly.
- Get your recommendation letter ready. Ask any of your favourite teacher to draft a recommendation letter for you. This is because it will be taken with higher regards when it comes from your school teacher.
- Take the required English test like TOEFL or IELTS if English is not your first language.
- If your documents are not in English, ensure you translate them to english.
- When applying use the online application platform. This will save you stress of going from one office to another.
- Register for the School’s entrance exam
- Make adequate preparatin and be confident for interviews as some schools abroad also conduct interviews when doing their screening exercise.
- Having passed the screening, schedule your visa appointment. Make adequate preparation for your visa by doing an early application for it. The documents required for your visa application are your application form, receipt of payment for your application, bank statement, medical information, tuition fee, your passport and some other documents given the past covid 19 occurrence.
- Make detailed budget about your total cost. Make extensive consideration about costs like -transport, food, textbooks and other cost you have incurred earlier. Also have in mind to put in your budget, unplanned expenses, because there are tendencies for it occurring.
There is always this thrill you feel when given the opportunity to study abroad nevertheless, I also advise that studying abroad is not a must-do. If you know you are not financially capable to be able to funding your study overseas, you can always settle for studying in your home country. Although, there are options available for you to be able to study abroad at a low-cost or even free as highlighted above.
Having this in mind though, not everybody is supposed to study abroad.
People Also search for;
- HOW TO STUDY ANATOMY: Top 20 Study Guides and How to Pass Anatomy
- Top 15 Study Abroad Programs
- Study in Australia: A Complete Step-By-Step Guide Including Best Universities, Scholarships and Student Visa